Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tales Of The OakTable (TOTOT)

When going through all this literature about Oracle, I can't help being impressed and scared of the knowledge and complexity that is displayed.
The book mentioned in the title, was very insightful and I must say I enjoyed it. I found it easier to read, because it keeps referring to real-life examples, but don't be fooled. There are still plenty of details and knowledge in it, and many details that I can't completely comprehend.

As far as my personal progress goes I probably can't see what I've learned so clearly, because I keep being exposed to new areas of Oracle and realize how much I HAVEN'T learned yet :).
I've had another session with Thyge, where different areas were covered, and also a few practical exercises were given me. One was relating to the insert vs. insert /*+append*/ and nologging. How big of a difference does it make etc.
After that Thyge also gave me some "homework" regarding restore of a DB. I must admit that I haven't completed that task yet. My first attempt rendered my DB useless, as I had not backed all the necessary files up, before dropping the DB. After that I've been sick for 4 days now, so hopefully I'll get to it sometime this week.


As a final note there will be a "mid-term challenge for MEEP'ers in Miracle" next week. The program will include some "hands-on" on a real project, arranged by James Morle. I really look forward to this as hands-on always sticks better with me than strictly theory.

No comments: