Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Files, Processes, SGA and Superbowl

I'm now a third of the way through Tom Kytes "Expert Oracle Database Architecture" and I've discovered a few things:
  1. I recognize a lot of the terms and ideas presented in the book, because I've worked around Oracle databases over the years. This gives me some confidence that I can actually make it through MEEP and not die!
  2. There are so many details presented to me, that I feel like I'm studying for finals on a 3500 page course. I haven't a clue if I need to remember all the details, or a general understanding is OK for now.
  3. Reading a chapter pr. day is not as easy as it may seem. I try to do all the examples as I read through the book, and several times I can not get the expected result. This often comes from little things I've left out, or things the author probably just takes for granted.
I now how a general knowledge of what an Oracle DB is. I have made a few installations (ie. 9i and 10g under Vista and also 10g under Centos5), and have a general idea as to what is new in 10g. As for the Centos5/10g installation, I still have some problems. The installation part is completed, but I can't seem to keep the Listener running?! I'll look into this when I find a little time.

As for MEEP in general, I really appreciate the time to study and learn. Tomorrow I'll be joining a few colleagues to go over what has been covered so far. This will probably clear up a few things. The rest will most likely not fall into place until I work on an actual problem.

In closing I might point out that the Packers are headed for the Superbowl. Make no mistake about it..... Giants don't stand a chance at "the frozen tundra" against No. 4.
Go Packs.

No comments: